Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wine 103: Keeping Track in the Field

One of the great frustrations of finding wines that we enjoy is the stark contrast of the almost universally poor quality of most wine sold in restaurants.  Quickly glancing over a wine list in an unfamiliar restaurant is usually a recipe for disappointment because if my favorite wines are not listed I am typically flying blind and picking countries and regions by reputation not actual knowledge of the wineries themselves.

A co-worker recommended the Wine Notes free app which he got for his Android based phone.  At first I though he was being overly bourgeois on this.  After thinking about it for awhile using a smart phone app makes tons of sense. After all I was beginning to keep a list of my favorites  in the notes section of my IPhone anyway.

Wine, and to a greater extent drinking in general is supposed to be about having fun. Part of having fun is finding and drinking something you already put in the effort to discover.  Nothing is more frustrating than spending your hard earned money on something that is substandard.  So anything that helps in the effort of getting you what you like and want is a good thing.   The fact that the app is free is just icing on the cake.

This app should not dissuade you from trying new wines though, because half of the fun is in the discovery.  Kind of like the first time I drank coconut rum, I like neither flavor independently yet together they were heavenly.  My buddy seems to like this app, I will have to see if they have a version for the IPhone as well and will report back.  

If you have a droid you can get the app here:

No comments:

Post a Comment