Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Matuco Malbec

Typically I avoid anything from Argentina it usually is overly boastful with little substance explaining its cheating ways by explaining the situation being a result of divine intervention.  [Ask your friends that follow world cup soccer if necessary.]  At long last however I finally have found a reason to give Argentina a chance, this Matuco Malbec.  

I was recently reading "The Rembrandt Affair," a spy novel by Daniel Silva.  Part of the story took the protagonist to the Mendoza region of Argentina to investigate the theft of a long lost Rembrandt masterpiece.  It had a wonderful side story describing the Malbec produced by the grief stricken son of a war criminal who was haunted by the sins of his father.

Soon after I finished "The Rembrandt Affair," I found this Malbec at F&E and being $9 I gave it a try to pair with a pre-seasoned tri-tip roast.  

On first glance in the glass it is an intense ruby color that is very visually appealing.  The nose is intense and appealing.  The Mantuco Malbec is a full bodied wine, and a little heavy on the tannin straight out of the bottle.  I poured myself a glass before I went out to the grill and was initially disappointed.  When I came in  after the tri-tip was done the tannin mellowed appreciably, so Carmen and I enjoyed the remainder of the bottle.  The flavor after some airing is very fruity with a deep berry tone which is just the way I like it.  

If you give this Malbec a little time to breath you will be pleasantly surprised by this fun and intense wine.  Growing up with a bunch of British expats overseas though I still am sore even all these years later about that "Hand of God" play, but if Argentine wineries continue making wine like this we can let bygones be bygones!  

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment