Friday, July 8, 2011

A Start

We all have to start a blog somewhere, so here we go.  Full disclosure, I am not a wine lover, though I have learned to appreciate it well enough.  There is a fair bit of pretentiousness that I think that we could all do without.  My feeling is that wine and to a greater extent all food and drink is meant to be enjoyed joyfully and passionately;  preferably with friends and family.  


Carmen and I eloped while we were in law school, we had no money, were in debt up to our eyeballs and Carmen was going crazy trying to plan the expected huge wedding.  The huge wedding was just not in our budget, and we did not want to saddle Carmen's family with the costs of a wedding so we eloped.  People were disappointed that we robbed them of a party but looking back at this picture from a small reception that my dad threw for us; I understand that it was not just a party but the sharing of the moment and the meal that was memorable.  I can't remember if the wine that Carmen and I toasted with in this picture was sweet California sparkling wine or a dry French champagne, let alone what it might have cost.  The point is that those details don't matter, we had a wonderful moment with friends and family, and that is the way I want to remember it.

That brings me to an argument that I had with an friend recently on the proper way to enjoy wine.  He has decanters, aerators, a cacophony of glasses in various shapes and sizes as well as a stocked wine cabinet.  He feels the compulsion to create such a perfect experience that I can't help but feel that it gets in the way of actually enjoying the wine.  My feeling is simply this; if you find a wine you like, drink it and share it with a friend in the process.  I have been getting most of my wine from Fresh and Easy lately so I am planning to sharing my experiences with my current favorites and try some new ones as well. Since I tend to go several times a week to the F&E, I will also pass along any sales info I stumble upon.

So is anyone thirsty?    

No comments:

Post a Comment