Monday, August 15, 2011

New Zealand; the home of Hobbits and Boro Hills Pinot Noir

I know nothing about New Zealand.  I love the people, as there were many Kiwi ex-pats living with us in Saudi Arabia during the early 1980's, and still have fond memories of them.  The country itself I only know through the Lord of the Rings movies, which I enjoyed thoroughly.  If this Boro Hills Pinot Noir is any indication I should learn more about New Zealand, than what Peter Jackson filmed.  After all Mr. Jackson  had his hobbits drinking beer instead of this great Pinot.

Boro Hills Pinot Noir 2008

I am fond of Pinots though more fond of Shiraz and Merlot in general, however I am fully stocked on Shiraz and Merlot this month.  Since I have been sampling wines from France, Spain and Argentina lately I thought that a New Zealand Pinot available at your local F&E would be a good change of pace.

Boro Hills Pinot Noir is a 2008 vintage with deep ripe fruit notes.  The fruit flavors that shine through are warm and pleasant raspberry, cherry and plum. I enjoyed the level of oak feel to the wine and the smooth finish. I typically only buy California Pinot Noir but I will definitely pick this bottle up again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment