Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Enjoying WineWrights Napa Merlot 2009, with Bob the Pig.

I remember watching the movie Sideways the great 2004 ode to binge wine drinking, with Carm a few years back.  Good movie but there were several things I didn't get and maybe the director cut out.  I did't get the  subplot of Miles' hatred of his parents or his mysterious hatred of  Merlot.  Maybe his parents beat Miles with Merlot bottles.   


I enjoy a good California Merlot, and the Winewrights Napa Merlot is a great example of an affordable high quality Merlot, its also $10 which is just icing on the cake.  I picked up a bottle of Winewrights Merlot along with some spare bottles of Chateau Coucy before a "whole pig" butchery class I attended, taught by Chef Paul from Primal Alchemy Catering.   It was 11 am on Saturday, I was drinking good wine, sampling cured meat, head cheese while separating the shoulder of a 200 lb organically raised pig; good times.  

Bob the Pig, after the hams were removed.
Chef Paul in the background.

My buddy Kurt from Probasketballtalk.com [a one stop shop for all of your NBA related news] joined me for this culinary adventure and by 11:30 we finished the bottles of French wine I brought. [between us Kurt and I have 4 soon to be 5 kiddos, so when we get out, we drink!] Chef brought out another round of figs wrapped in prosciutto so we cracked open the Merlot.  The primary flavors on the taste are dark berries, plum and chocolate. enveloped in a dense Merlot package. There is a hint of oak and gentle tannins on the finish.  I also love the label I dig the very Leonardo Da Vinci look to them, at a $10~ pricepoint this whole package wine is an absolute steal.   

Near the end of the class Chef prepared a pork loin as a demonstration.  That seared pork tasting alone with the Merlot accompanying it was worth the price of admission. 


No comments:

Post a Comment