Thursday, August 11, 2011

Arizona Produces Wine, Who Knew? Arizona Stronghold, "Mangus" 2009

Today's wine is a 2009 Red table wine called Arizona Stronghold, "Mangus," yes its a wine from Arizona.  Except for northern Arizona I assumed the rest of the state was barren and incapable of growing anything.  When I heard there was an Arizona wine I thought it would have come from the north, where I went on a memorable trip to a dude ranch in Prescott Arizona many years ago with Carm, my buddy Gary, his then girlfriend, and a friend of ours who stopped taking her meds... It was a memorable trip. Saw several farms up there but no grape vines to speak of.  

AZ Stronghold "Mangus"
Apparently the wine growing region is in Cochise County, Arizona east of Tucson towards the south east corner of the state.  I didn't know what to think of this wine at first, this is a  bold red blend,  with a touch of spices and  a healthy alcohol content.  Each wine in the AZ Stronghold series has its own moniker, this one was "Mangus," a blend of Cabernet, Sangiovese, and Merlot though the Cab really stands out to me. 

I was ready to write this wine off when Carm pointed out that this is exactly what it claims to be a bold red blend table wine; a Monday to Thursday wine if you will. As usual she is right.  This is a good red table wine that would pair well with a good steak, or a roast or Bob the 200 lb pig that Kurt and I butchered, with Chef Paul a few weeks ago.  Arizona Stronghold "Mangus" 2009 will be carried at your local F&E or it can be purchased directly through its website http://www.azstronghold.com.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment