Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Maker's Mark Rethinks Cutting Alcohol Content


Since I was posting anyway did anyone notice how quickly Maker's Mark walked this one back?  I have noticed as I get older that my tastes in alcohol is changing as well.  I tend to drink more whiskey and wine than vodka and beer, it is, what it is.  During lent I can't drink Scotch, so it is nice having bourbon on hand. For those of you who do not know the varieties, I found a great family tree.

 aqua vitae = "water of life"

Maker's Mark and Gentleman Jack are my go to bourbons, and both great products.  The thought by Maker's Mark was to reduce the proof from 90 to 84 so that they could produce more bottles overall to keep up with demand. I don't understand the thinking of actively undermining you brand by changing the formulation during a period of unprecedented success but I still remember New Coke, and the reason that the Coke (less and less as well) I buy is now branded Coca Cola Classic.  Thankfully they came to their senses and reversed course.

No comments:

Post a Comment