Sunday, September 4, 2011

End of Summer Pool Party; Grilling Burgers and Dogs While Sipping Dutch Republic

When I was in college my buddies would give me nothing but grief for my love of fruity mixed drinks, who am I kidding they still give me grief over this.  Coming from a family that drank cheap beer there was a reason I didn't like beer back in 1994; up till then I had never tasted a beer worth liking.  

I left for UC San Diego in June of 1994, which was fortunate for me because it coincided with a surge in great micro brewing.  Sierra Nevada had made it down to San Diego from the Pacific Northwest, Sam Adams was being distributed more widely from Boston, Karl Strauss [god bless his soul] was just beginning to distribute his micro brews and would open his first brew pub when we were Juniors.  From the more commercial side I enjoyed was Heineken and Pacifico, the benefit was that I could find them almost anywhere.  All in all the early 90's was a great time to learn and taste good beer.  

Carm wanted to have a small get together this afternoon before Labor Day, but since all the girls are now expecting I skipped the wine today and just picked up some beer for the guys.  The fun thing about this Blog is that I think more about what I drink..  I felt like drinking a Dutch Pale Lager and no longer felt confined to buy the most familiar thing. 

Dutch Pale Lager for $4

I selected Dutch Republic (DR) from F&E which retails for $4 a six pack to pair with some fresh hamburgers and kosher hot dogs.  I opened the first bottle while I was grilling and was shocked.  I like Heineken; a lot, I was stunned to realize that I liked DR a bit more.  

DR is a traditional crisp tasting Dutch Pale Lager with a clear amber color.  Its best quality however is the smooth finish which really sets it apart from its more famous competitor, Heineken.  At $3 less a six pack this is a great value for a great tasting beer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment